Saturday 21 September 2013

the small labels, 1927 - 1935, great hot dance band sides!

this stuff is just great and features a host of guys who would later become very famous band leaders in the swing era, benny goodman, glen miller, jack teagarden etc are believed to be on some of these tracks.
here's the track list
Making whoopee (Chicago Redheads ; Ernie Golden and his Orchestra) --
There ain't no maybe in my baby's eyes (Fred Godfrey's Jazz Knights ; Harry Pollocks Maurice Club Diamonds) --
Birmingham Bertha (The Broadway Syncopators ; Don Voorhees and his Orchestra) --
If I could be with you (One hour tonight) (Chick Bullock) --
Piccolo Pete (La Palina Broadcasters ; Fred Rich and his Orchestra) --
She's a great great girl (Herbert Spencer and his Orchestra) --
Sing you sinners (The Missouri Jazz Band ; Adrian Schubert and his Salon Orchestra) --
Tie me to your apron strings again Chick Bullock and his Orchestra) --
Dancing with tears in my eyes (The Royal Marimba Band) --
Deed I do (John Porter's Harmony Troupe ; Al Lentz and his Orchestra) --
Crazy people (The High Steppers) --
You're simply delish (Imperial Dance Orchestra ; Jack Teagarden and his Orchestra) --
Red hot Chicago (Hagan's Hotel Ritz Orchestra) --
Walking my baby back home (Embassy Dance Band ; Milt Shaw and his Detroiters) --
Bottoms up (The Harmony Syncopators ; The Merry Collegians) --
Sleepy time gal (Chick Bullock and his Orchestra).

here's the link
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17525699/the%20small%20labels%20-%201927%20-%2035.rar
enjoy and spread the word and the music!

12 comments:

  1. nice, thanks,,,,,but I had to delete, no dates & no label info, cant add it to my collection without recording dates, no info to use to look up the dates, after trying to date first few just by title I gave up & deleted whole thing, totally worthless to me without accurate dates, even if I like it cause theres no way to file it

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi,
    There are no dates on the album either, infact finding dates for rarities like this is nearly impossible. These were recorded on small labels, as the title says and those folks didn't tend to keep ledgers etc like the big guys did.
    Did you manage to find dates for the other posts on this blog?
    No offence, but how do you manage to find dates or even reasonably rare recordings?
    if you'd like mt to find at least the approximate years these were recorde in from the cover i'll give it a shot :d

    ReplyDelete
  3. if you have the label name & number in most cases they can be dated, but unfortunatly in the early days many songs were issued on more than one label, & unless there was an affiliation between those labels, they are often different takes recorded at different times (example- Vernan Dalhart did Wreck Of Okd 97 at least a dozen times on at least 10 labels over a 5 yr period) so without the correct label & #, the songs have no value at all

    ReplyDelete
  4. Frankly it was my first visit here & after finding no usable info with my first download, I didnt bother to do any others, without dates I cant add to my files, & yes many compilation albums dont bother to give the buyer the info, I personally wouldnt waste my time with any that dont at least list the original label & issue number

    ReplyDelete
  5. well stay tuned because i will try and help you with at least label info, there could be some of that on the sleeve or something.
    I just personally think the music is of primary importance and would rather concentrate on getting these rae recordings out there in any form what so eve.
    Does this not seriously limit your jazz buying? how do you get on with 78s as they don't have dates on or don't you bother? genuinely curious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree the sounds are the main thing, but when you have a tigabite hard drive filled you have to have some way to organise them, dropping a compilation into a folder with thousands of other albums so the songs are lost without an easy way to find them isnt the answer, for me I settled on time period folders a long time ago (ie (1920 - 29) (1930 -39) (1940 - 49) ect) so dates are very important to me just to have a folder to put them in so I can find them again, Cheers

      Delete
  6. I wish I could ind more of this stuff to actually download, where do you get it? :d
    There was a set of torrents by decade, 1920-29 30-39 etc that i never was able to download. I admire those who can keep things in such an organised way, but i have about 10 thousand 78s and 5 thousand plus lps and am a little more bothered about those than the digital stuff.
    I think most of this is from 26 to 29, but you would probably do well to do what i do with misc stuff and create a !other folder, or something.
    I'll try and find those record numbers for you thouh, my other posts shouldn't be as much of a problem for you :d

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rob, I sent you an email; couple days ago, I not only have a ton of what you like but, id love to trade stuff with you, Rick

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi rick,
    I don't have an email from you, but my email cliant was being stupid these last few days. If you could email me again at
    rgodridge1@gmail.com
    i'll tell you what i have and we can do some trading, either of mp3 files or physical cs/records.
    and most of it has dates on it, sort of :d
    cheers,
    Rob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for this. filling in holes in my listening continuum. there is so much. glad you are are a time traveler. keep posting.
      thanks
      robert

      Delete
  9. Dear Robert, congrats with your new blog!
    I didn´t notice until now! It is really interesting!!
    I will follow from now. Regards!
    Víctor (Alicante, Spain)

    ReplyDelete