Monday 9 December 2013

blue notes and hot rhythms: 1927-1930, harrison lp

hi again folks and sorry for the absence, the internet has been incredibly slow, then my turn table stylus needed replacing, etc, plus I've been pretty busy! I will try to post here more regularly than this, though.

This is some more great hot dance stuff from the late 20s, very little information about it though. This has a recording of west end blues made very shortly after louis armstrong's hot five's version of it and that is very interesting to hear, though i seem to remember there being a difference in the order of tracks between that list and my lp that i've posted here.
Here's the track list from worldcat.

tracks
"Louder and funnier ; West End blues ; Missouri squabble ; The man from the South ; Kickin' a hole in the sky (Fred Hall's Jazz Band) -- Me and the man in the moon ; You're the cream in my coffee (the Ambassadors) -- You can't get to heaven that way ; Get happy (Bert Stock and his orchestra) -- Wake up! Chillun, wake up! ; I used to love her in the moonlight (Ipana Troubadours) -- Where the shy little violets grow ; The river and me (Milt Shaw and his Detroiters) -- After you've gone (Julie Wintz and his orchestra)."
here's the link, it is a zip file instead of rar by the way as I thought ip files are a little more accessable.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17525699/blue%20notes%20and%20hot%20rhythms.zip
thanks and enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for a great Lp! I didn't encounter any difference in the track listings when I spot checked them but mostly just enjoyed the music, the Fred Hall's are exceptional. Wake Up Chillun, Wake Up! by the Ipana Troubadours is the theme song for Andy Senior's podcast called Radiola- you might want to give it a listen. By the way, Ipana was a brand of toothpaste, with Bucky Beaver as there spokes creature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked it! there's an entire cd on retrieval of fred hall. Do your self a christmas faver and buy it it's great!
    Yes I do listen to raiola and enjoy it very much. I like that he plays some of the newer artists as well, and as i collect acoustical recordings in general I enjoy when they are played, and truth be told I've taken a lot of them taken the tracks out and put them on my hard drive, made cds of them etc.
    Enjoy and merry christmas!
    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  3. And a very merry Christmas and a healthy, happy New year to you too!

    ReplyDelete